See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Traditional cookie

Today I'm sharing a story about our traditional cookie. You see, ma didn't throw anything away. She had a wonderful little cookie treat that was made out of the left-over pie crust. Being of Canadian-French and Polish heritage, they strictly watched every word that came out of their mouths. In other words, they wouldn't even say S-h-i-t. Every time those cookies came out of the oven, they were not long lived in our house.
Yesterday, I thought of the story that grew from those famous cookies as I made some for my grandson and family from the leftover dough.
I'd thought it fitting to share today, and if they are all up there watching, I'm sure there having a good laugh. My parents both spoke enough Canadian French to be able to hide things from us, and say words that we shouldn't hear. That should have been clue enough for me to learn not to repeat words in a different language that I was unfamiliar with.
Anyway, mother called those cute little cookies, (d'trou d'cul) .It sounded more like d'touqueres. That's what we all it called it, saying, "I want some more of the touqueres." My parents used to laugh, so did we. We always had so much fun in our house.
The joke is, I then started to make these things because people really liked them. They are small and round, look like little jelly rolls, cinnamon, butter and sugar filled. Sometimes with walnuts and syrup added.
You could make them up rather quickly and so I did, when asked to bring them to a party. At a gathering of very proper ladies, who sampled the treat, I was asked what they are called? So I said proudly, the touqueres. They all started to giggle and left. Everyone knows that I do have a sense of humor. Later, my mother-in-law Leona, asked me what I had called those cookies, as she wasn't sure she heard correctly. So, I repeated it to her. She said, "I'm sure your wrong." I said, "No, my mother has been making them and calling them the touqueres for years."
Then she told me what the words meant. It probably was the first time that ever came out of her mouth, being such a proper lady raised in the home of a optometrist, and working for the superintendent of schools. Always neat and regarded highly by everyone. Now, possibly embarrassed in front of her friends and relatives.
Thanks ma and dad, they did in fact, look like ass-holes. Sometimes you have to make your own fun. They did. I now am very careful when around others to say little cookies, as some people can't take a joke.
I still call them the touqueres. Maybe 'cause naughty girls sometimes say naughty things.

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.