See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Classic Soup Favorite

Today, I went shopping for items that I will be using to make many wonderful vegetable soup and dishes such as: Cabbage soup, stuffed peppers, spinach pita, and more to go along with my homemade breads such as dill and Italian varieties.

People who know me, know of my passion for working in the kitchen, cooking up delicious meals especially during the lenten season, for those I love.

As I prepare these wonderful dishes, I will try to share the recipe's with you.

One of the greatest Classics of French homemade soups is the "Soupe Au Poireaux Et Pommes de Terre," Or commonly known as Leek and Potato Soup. In Canada, they use bacon, which is not permitted during the fast, nor any other time for us due to a food allergy, so I will use the recipe which will be found at the end of this post.

The potatoes that I will use come from Canada, and are Gold. I buy the small organic potatoes, which I will cook some with the peel on so as to retain the valuable vitamins from the skin. I will use my food processor to puree the end product, and then add to that mix very fine pieces of the red and gold potato, which I have set aside, along with very thinly sliced leeks for color just before serving. It is my favorite soup and I know I probably say that about all of them. Go here to learn why eating the skin of the potato is needed in your diet. My mom used to throw them away, unfortunately.

I'm also fond of clam chowder with lots of potato in a thick creamy base. One other change that I noticed from my original French version is the chicken broth. I substitute Smart Balance spread instead of the butter in my house in all recipe's. Coconut milk can be used instead of milk for lenten recipes.

I'll let you know how it comes out. Of course, you know I'd like to be able to share some with you. Here's the next best thing, the recipe.

No comments: