See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, April 6, 2009

Love is a Mystery

Yesterday, I took something home with me. It was a small part of the homily that father gave. I have played it over and over each time it pops into my head. It was a scene from the movie "The Passion of Christ," where Jesus beholds His mother and as their eyes meet there is an understanding. It dawned on me how powerful a statement that was.

When there is love present, no words are necessary. We still like to hear someone tell us that they love us, but, we know through the eyes. The eyes have wings to the heart.

Today as I was reading the words to the CD jacket, Thy PASSION, Byzantine Chant of Holy Week, I came across the following words that I thought I'd share with you.


The Hymn of Kassiani talks about a women who has fallen into many sins. These are some of the words, "Woe is me, for the love of adultery and sin hath given me a dark and moonless night." She goes to Jesus having perceived Thy divinity. She is the ointment bearer. (She knows).

The first stasis of Lamentations gives us this verse.
"Who will give me water for the tears I must weep?
So the Maiden wed to God cried with loud lament,
"that for my sweet Jesus I may rightly mourn."

In the second stasis we note that even the earth responds when we read: "Earth with trembling shook and the sun concealed his face in darkness, for the light unwaning that shines from Thee with Thy Body sank to darkness and the grave."

As His mother looked up at Him nailed on the cross:
These words from the second stasis: "Thou was pierced, and thus Thy Mother saw Thee and was smitten with the nails of most bitter grief; and her soul itself was pierced as with a sword. Wailing bitter tears, Word of God, Thy spotless Mother mourned Thee."

Finally from the 2nd Stasis Lamentations:
"That I may renew Man's lost nature now from beauty fallen--Gladly in my flesh, I take death on Me.
Wherefore, Mother, slay me not with
bitter tears." (clearly Jesus reveals his feelings for his mother).

Coming from the 1st. stasis:
How unspeakable the mystery of Thy love.

The 2nd. stasis ends with this message.
"Now do we behold a most great and awful sight, O Savior; Thou who are the cause of life dost submit to death, wishing to grant life to all mankind, O God."

No comments: