See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Human Assertiveness

Human assertiveness is still the name of the game for little Nathan. Now a toddler, the pattern of growth mimics that of his father at three in some ways, and follows the textbook as far as what children do at that age. It's always trying to learn to do something new each day. He lives to achieve goals he sets for himself.

It pleased him today that he was able to make what we used to call, "mud pies." Here I was making mud pies with him. Something I spent hours doing as a child. (I see where they get the expression, "second childhood.") He wore me out watching him fill up his backhoe with dirt and dump it. A typical boy getting his knees dirty and enjoying every minute of being outdoors. Through the generations the knees of pants have been wearing out. I remember my mother putting patches on jeans before my brothers wore their pants outside, and I did the same with my sons.

As I raked the leaves, he did also with the little rake. He wanted to throw the leaves back on the ground like he did in the fall. I knew somehow that was what he had in mind. Funny how we can anticipate their every move.

Unlike most days when I lift him onto the swing, today, he was brave enough to try and get on by himself. Another first. Being proud of being able to do it, I found him practicing several times.

I find that he does not hesitate to try to do feats that are quite challenging without fear, but see a small bug, and it's grandma. Somehow I've been through this before. I begin to sing shoo-fly don't bother me. And I ask him always who's bigger?

Lunch was appreciated by him today after being outdoors, no one had to coax him into eating. Then, after getting off the dirty clothes, it was time for bed. I could hear him talking to his little toys, then out like a light.

I didn't know where to begin, with all the muddy toys, and mud in the sink from soaking his hands, dirty dishes and crap all over the rugs.

I remember that my mother used to use a broom to sweep us off. We used to throw dried cow dropping at each other out in the field.

When grampy came home, he rinsed the larger trucks with the garden hose, and then he and Nate went to play basketball at the hoop located on the end of the street.

I still have raking to do. Yet, I have accomplished so much already. Today was an adventure for both of us. Nathan found beautiful purple crocus growing around the mailbox. It made such an impression on him that I noticed he excitedly told everyone he saw about it. I remember Billy doing the same thing in the spring. He'd pick the violets, flower only and bring them to me, "saying for you ma". I'd place them in an ash tray with water and we'd watch them float around. As he got older he'd pick them with the stems and I'd place them in a toothpick holder.

I finally got to see Madagascar today. A fantastic movie about animals in a NY zoo, ending up taking an adventure to the wild life. Now I know where the song I like comes from. "I Like To Move It, Move It."

I can hardly move tonight though, so after a few dishes and a little reading this grandma is going to bed.

No comments: