See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Serious Side

It's a wonder that anyone would want to read my post because for the most part my writings reveal a woman who has a very serious nature. No, I wasn't the firstborn, certainly not the last, as they are the funny ones. I don't know if it was my birth rank, or just how I was to be in life, but I do know I always tended to be all business. I'm probably not a lot of fun to be with as I tend to be studious and accommodating. All that is going to change today, as this is according to the radio, a day to laugh out loud.

It is said that things will go well for you if you know how to laugh. My dad used to say silly things and he'd make me laugh. My mom tried to tell jokes, and she was pretty good at it. I never was. I always admired a person who could not take life so seriously and felt at ease, finding humor in all things. That's the kind of person I like to hang out with. As our radio host suggested today in these times we all need more laughter.

Even Bob Hope's jokes were not funny to me. I think laughter is great medicine. So, in keeping with the day, I'm trying to think of something that was funny recently. I'll let you know if I can think of any, but in the meantime here's a cute story.

Nathan has a very fine sandbox at his house, needs work, but, I'm sure after his dad gets done working on the lawn he'll find time to clean it up so that Nathan can enjoy playing in the dirt. That was one of my favorite things to do as a child. I recall my mom would tie us up with a rope, (today they have harnesses) and we'd play in the dirt, making mud pies. Currently in our backyard we do not have a sandbox, but under what was a clothesline, in which the dirt is topsoil mostly, he likes to play with his huge trucks. He has a cement mixer and he gathers little stones to listen to as it goes around. He made a road with the equipment and then brought little trucks and cars to drive on the road. Then he used some stones and dirt and created a house nearby the road. Clever for three. All you need is something to dig with and of course, dirt. So much for spending tons of money on non-essential sandboxes. I heard him making his truck noises which are so entertaining. Then, he surprised me when I heard him sing. He has the most incredible voice. It wasn't the words, which he made up, but it was a tune. Not a baby song. When he got tired, after an hour or so, he and I sat on the swing, which we have done since he was born. He loves to be outdoors and the swing is his favorite activity. This time I had my radio outside and he just listened and was so content. Then he snuggled up to me, it was time for a nap. So I suggested that grandma was getting cold and needed to go inside. No fuss, along he came, mud and all. The sun was bright but the wind was growing fierce and made it seem cooler.

Going in, there were muddy tracks, so we quickly sat on the rug and removed the sneakers. Now Nathan is a big boy and it was time for the potty. No he doesn't want to use the baby potty because daddy uses the toilet. Nathan wanting to show grandma what a big boy does, grabbed the footstool and placed it in front of the toilet bowl, lifting up the seat, stepped up to the occasion. One hand holding the curtain in the process. I started to laugh. No one else would be able to get away with holding and wrinkling grandma's curtain. He is so proud of all his accomplishments. And so am I.

I enjoyed making him his favorite meat loaf with (trees) broccoli and sweet potato and tomatoes. He wasn't as accepting with the oatmeal and raisin cookie, but grandma knows it is better for him. A great snack with warmed chocolate milk, especially coming in from outside on a cool day.

I enjoyed his little stories about the Easter Bunny coming to visit with eggs. We had our usual time of conversation in the living room, where I reminded him that when mommy and daddy ask him to pickup the crumbs from the floor, it's so the ants don't come in to eat them. He doesn't like bugs too much, but worms are okay. He says he and his friend play with them at daycare. They are okay because the birds eat them. And the fly, well this time he understood that it came to play trucks with him. He is so well behaved at my house. But there again, he gets all the attention that he needs being the only child.

Grandma was very busy yesterday, lugging toys around, and cleaning up after muddy shoes. I noticed that when Nathan was told that his dad was coming to pick him up, knowing that Uncle Steve needed a ride to the garage where his truck was being serviced, he couldn't wait to get his shoes on and his coat. He likes to help others as he helps grandma all the time.

Grampy was disappointed that he didn't get to see him as he had to leave before he got home. His job was to go out and bring in all the toys we brought out to play with that day. (Grandfathers are very special people). He noticed the house that Nate built and was amused by the cleverness of the work of a three-year-old. I can see him grinning now!

This is holy week for us, so we will not have our family dinner tonight as the church service begins at 7PM. Called "The Bridegroom service." It is where we are reminded about our filthy rags and our need to constantly be aware of our relationships. And, first on that list is our relationship with our Creator.

One of my favorite Hymns featured tonight is: The Hymn of Kassiane, which has beautiful words, and comes from the Service Book of Holy Week and Easter, it concludes by saying the following:
"Eve heard those footfalls in the twilight in Paradise, and hid herself in fear. Who can fathom the magnitude of my transgressions, or the depths of Your judgments, my soul's Savior? In Your boundless mercy, do not reject me Your handmaid."

As you become older you can look back and see the change that has occurred in you as a person. Love does that. You can see the change in a person who was hard, despondent, often acting out and now softened. Love does that. There is no accounting for the transition except for love. You can see it in his or (her) face, and there is a softness toward you, no matter what your actions. "The unconditional love", is noted in one who is quick to forgive and overlooks faults, does not seek revenge, nor does show anger. Yet, possesses a great deal of patience toward someone else, while bearing their burdens.

Years ago, I would have been steaming mad at the mud, and messes that my kids made, magnified by all of the the other problems in my life, but, now I see that it doesn't matter. It was as in the movie I just saw on television, where Charlton Heston, who was enraged, realized that the person who gave him water, was the same person who was crucified for him. And that is Love. In the story his mother and sister are healed from leprosy and he has had a sword removed from his hand. Having peace finally in his heart he can now learn to love the maidservant who Loves him. All great miracles.

In the end, in God's great mercy, does He really care about all the mud? Someone willing to die so that you can live, would care little about the mud. But would care a whole lot about you. Now that's love. And, love sort of grows on you.

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.