See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Time Change

I'm not transitioned yet. It has been just over a month since we moved the clocks ahead. When the invitation came over the radio this morning to rise out of bed, I was still comfy in it, thank you very much. I'm up early making coffee and lunch then, as it has been a habit in winter to go back to bed being still dark and cold, I find it hard to stay up. Once it starts to warm up outdoors then, that will be a horse of a different color. I enjoy having my coffee outside while I read something. The radio show is good, except for when I have to listen to the scratchy voice, and the I did this and that, bragging. That's when I feel like tuning out. I want change you can believe in. He is irritating and their is no polite way of saying it, sorry.

Here I sit, after watching the political news stations that I frequent each evening after dinner, writing. It takes time and sometimes I spend a good part of the evening on the Internet. Never thought I'd be saying that. But, I surf the net. LOL. I'm up late reading. I will have to change my ways in order to listen to the station in the morning, while having breakfast. I am still feeling the effects of the services, cleaning, cooking and partying from last week.

We had a house full of people on Sunday, and I was still cleaning out roasting pans on Monday. The rest of the day I was able to keep at a reasonable pace. Today I had Nathan to watch and because I promised my mother-in-law a spinach pie and oatmeal cookies, I had my hands full. Cleaning up after a three year old was a job all by itself. Tomorrow I've got the day to myself, and then he'll come to grandma's on Thursday and Friday.

Today, I practiced the one, two, three method of discipline. I find it works out well. Debbie a mother of two from my church gave me the book she used successfully, as she is done with it. When I first started using this method, which they suggest as young as two or three, I would start to count and he thought I was just counting so he would tune in counting to ten. Now, with the tone and the counting, he gets it. Most of the time it is not needed. But there are times....like when I ask him to do something, and there is either a NO or no response. Typical male, they start young. I am trying to teach him what the word No means. For an example, one cookie is enough. But he tries. I recall when I was a young mother there were some who had the opinion to just take everything out of the way, like coffee table items and sweets that they would scream for if seen. My mother's view and mine is that it is far better to teach them "limitations" and the meaning of the word "I said, No!" Many children today expect their own way or they throw themselves down on the ground, cry or sometimes scream. I do not give in to bad behavior. The visible cookie, must be earned by good behavior. You should see the stories I get in order that he deserve a cookie. Like, I pooped at home for mommy and daddy. Girls are usually toilet trained without a problem. I still would like to know why going to the potty for boys is such a difficult accomplishment. Everything takes time I guess.

I have found a secret way to get him to eat new foods, trying to expand on the same old menu items. I bring to the table a card or small stuffed toy, who is to eat with us. Today it was a bunny card. So I simply said show the bunny how you eat sweet potato. Of course like all men he is anxious to show what he can do. Problem resolved. It also works to pretend to feed the bunny because the bunny likes it so much, then save some for Nate, or Nate's turn. It is called the expanded meal time. Make sure you have plenty of time and patience.

I plan on listening to the radio again in the morning, so this means early to bed and early to rise, will make this grandma, healthy, and wise. And perhaps, just a little closer to EDT and all the fun that springtime brings with it.

1 comment:

Fr. Peter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.