See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, April 27, 2009

A New Friend

Last summer he was in his yard watching and smiling at me, but he couldn't speak a word of English. Yet, his oldest brother not only speaks fluently but reads "outstandingly" well.

He is one of three brothers. The middle one seems to have settled down some from last year. Anyway, I wouldn't say he is aggressive in nature, just shy and the language barrier did make a difference last summer. He would just come to the fence and smile at me, then say something in his own language that I didn't understand. It was sort of sad that I couldn't reply to his question.

This year it is a different story as he has learned to speak some English. Every time he see me he says Hello very enthusiastically, waving at the same time.

Last week he even had the courage to sit with me on the swing in my back yard. We were listening to the radio, I think it was the oldies show.

I went to the church today to plant a few flowers, perennials mostly and some mums that were still in their pots from last fall. It was hot, and we're not used to it, I think I got stung by a bee, at least it felt like one. Couldn't wait to get into the shower. As I drove into the driveway, there he was waiting for me. A big hello and a wave. He said, "do you want to play?"

Doesn't it make you feel good, when someone is happy to see you? Oh ya, I forgot to mention in this post that Carlos is a toddler, almost the same age as my grandson Nathan.

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.