See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What's in a Name

It's funny that I never saw what my first name meant the way presented on face book, where each letter stands for something. Comments seemed to agree that it was true. It would be interesting to find out how they arrive at the names of things and what they mean. What if it were a lake that had 45 letters? Now that would be interesting.

On our local radio station, the subject came up on what people call "Webster Lake," simply because not many can say the correct name. Nor was it said where the source of the name came from or what it means. I guess you have to be from this area to know that. I remember learning it in school. It is an Indian name and has (45 letters). I think it also has the distinction of being the lake having the longest name. The meaning goes something like you fish on your side and I'll fish on my side, and nobody fish in the middle...Now that brings me back to elementary school, a very long time ago.

This is how we learned to say it. Lake

Char/gog/ga/gogg/
man/chaug/ga/gogg/
chau/buna/gunga/maug.


Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubnagungamaug.

The chau is pronounced cha


Practice makes perfect...Makes for a fun word at a party or spelling bee. They must have had an interesting language. Webster lake is an absolutely beautiful place to visit. A nice spot to get away to. I haven't been there for awhile. There are some nice eateries and night spots as well. Check it out.

No comments: