See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Homemade Adventure

It was a nice sunny day here in New England. The snow was soft and crystal. About twenty-one degrees and perfect for the sled. Nathan, is three and that is the age where they can pull their own sled, providing you don't start on a hill as it will run them down. Luckily the driveway has a slight incline, and knowing that he was coming to play today, we did not shovel it until after he had a fun adventure in the snow. It was an adventure for me just to get him dressed and myself as well, down the stairs and out the door.

The wind was nil otherwise it would have proved too cold, and it took some talking too to get him into the sled. Apparently, his father said, that he had some snow blow in his face and that wasn't too much fun at that age, they don't like it.

Here's how we did it. We have a cute white teddy bear who has a red heart on her chest and a soft red bow. He takes her to bed on occasion. Outside of that, he doesn't really care for too many stuffed animals. Knowing that, I brought her along for the ride. At first, it was just her and his favorite white ball, which we pulled up and down the drive way and street. Then, when he saw it was okay, I got him to hold her while I pulled him along. The minute the rope caused the front to go up a bit he didn't care for it. The ride was successful, no tipping over and hopefully next time it will be longer. Besides, I was tired and I had had enough for the moment. Next, it was his favorite activity, the little shovel. We were working after all, just being able to get a load and dump it, was a chore. I just kept shovelling right after him. It seemed like I never was going to get done. He had colorful cheeks and playtime outdoors agreed with him. Boots off at the door, we unbundled in stages.
Next it was snack time, and a favorite movie with his blanket. He prefers chocolate milk to regular, so we mix it half and half, shaking the beverage, which makes suds. He of course, thinks they are brown bubbles, giggling with every sip. He is such a happy boy, who appreciates little things.

We managed to make five puzzles, and connect the dots, play cars and complete two pages in his sticker book. While he was outside he observed the airplanes and birds which sounded happy today. While inside, he observed that grampy changed the overhead burnt out light. It is strange how he notices all mechanical things, "man things". He is a little man even at three. I got him to use the potty today by showing him the birthday card that he liked so well on Saturday. It made him laugh and put him at ease.

I'm not surprised that he kept asking for more lunch, being outdoors always gives him an appetite. When he completed lunch we played battle, or who beats, from an ordinary deck of cards. This is a great math reinforcement. He won. Then we played red or black. He won. A bit of television, channel two geared to teaching reading skills, and off for a nap, after having a serious conversation with grandma. He is so smart! I showed him how to use the remote control for the television once, and when grampy came home, he went and got the clicker, turned the TV on, and said, "there you go, grampy."

He told me that mommy cried, and he screamed, because he made noise, jumped on the floor while she was trying to sleep. He said "Cars" is missing, and he cried. I told him he was to listen to his mommy and daddy.

Many times I need to remind him that he has ears, two of them. John laughs at that, because he said the apple does not fall far from the tree, and he's given up on me because I do not listen to anyone. He's just joking of course.

We can only hope for peace, between Nathan and his parents. They are so good to him. I suppose this is a natural thing, I don't know. It was between my mother and me for many years.
She was the one who had to discipline me and I resented it. It was a love-hate relationship. I forgave her in the end. She was a strong woman, so I am.

No comments: