See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Love You Test

Valentine's day is just around the corner. So today, I was thinking of some of the ways that used to indicate that a women was interested in you and wanted you to know. Also, some of the little and cute things we used to do, sort of, "the Love You Tests."
My grandmother taught me more than using the "hat pin." That was another subject altogether. I don't know where this idea came from or how long ago, but women used to carry a very fancy handkerchief, and apparently, she was very good at producing tears. My mom used to call them crocodile tears, (meaning to turn on at will). Anyway, knowing how men at that time used to come to her rescue, she if interested in him, would produce her cloth, making sure he ended up with it. Normally, she would have placed it in a delicate area, which would be pulled out quickly when needed. The cloth, of course took on the scent of her body and sweet smelling perfumes from her garden, like rose or lavender. If you've ever watched some of the old movies, you most likely have observed a man smelling the cloth, in which they portray him as "endeared" to her.
My mother used to look for four-leaf clovers, saying it would bring her good luck in "love". When she passed away, I found a dried four leaf clover, (one tiny leaf detached) in a piece of waxed paper. Apparently, she found one. I always wondered if there really is such a thing. I spent a lot time as a little girl on the grass looking for one.
The girls will tell you that when we knew that he was in love, in high school, was when he gave you his class ring to wear around your neck or on your finger with yarn wrapped around the band to keep it from falling off. Later, it would be the diamond ring. This was usually bought as a set, the other piece a wedding band.
My mother had a small diamond, but it meant the world to her.
There is a test that probably has existed from the beginning of time. I spent many days doing this and to tell you the truth, I don't even know what the source is. But you hold a daisy in your hand and begin to pull out the petals one by one, saying alternately, he (she) loves me, he (she) loves me not. When you get to the end you'll know.
I've learned that it is very hard for a man to tell you that he loves you. Some people say it's not what he says, but what he does.
My cousin Louise was one of the first in our family to "fall in love." All the girl cousins had only one question for her. "Louise, how do you know that your in love." She said, your in love when he feels the same way about you that you feel about him. (That means it cannot be one-sided). Two children later, her husband was found with another woman. She is remarried and lives, I believe, in Arizona.
Maybe that's it, if he is still with you, no matter how badly you've treated him, and he still wants to be with you, calls you, thinks about you, is happy to see you, really knows and wants to know everything about you and has no desire to leave, it's love. Because you are his "joy."
Other signs: He brings you laughter, flowers, music, and takes you to dinner and shows. And if your lucky, he will dance with you, forever. The true test of "love" is time and there will never be enough of it.

No comments: