See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Saturday, February 28, 2009

An Unexpected but Familiar Sound

Who or what woke you up this morning? I would have preferred to stay in bed late today, but I was awaken to the sound of hoot-hoot-hoot. A familiar sound of the not too distant past. Before the snow flies around here, we have a lot of critters that make noises that become so much a part of our environment, that we don't hear them after a while, until either they are gone or they come back. Today, it was my owl friend returning for the spring. Couldn't fall back to sleep, unfortunately. Made coffee and breakfast early, and settled down in the front room only to see a huge black, bird purge in one of the trees above my neighbors house. I waited to see it again to try to identify it, but did not. It looked as large as an eagle, having a large wingspan.
It reminded me of the birds that nest at Bar Harbor, ME. I recall that one summer, we were not allowed to use the carriage roads, as a couple of unfortunate people were attacked by the birds as they swooped down and cut into their heads, as reported by their local newspaper.

My brother in a neighboring town, told me similar stories about a neighbor who was in his yard. I don't know if he saw his bald head but he came at him fast and furiously, drawing blood. They can see very well I'm told and are notorious hunters.
More are obviously coming this way as I don't recall seeing this type of bird around here in my youth. The biggest are the Canadian Geese, Wild Turkey's and Partridge.

My dad used to go fishing, and one day came home to tell us he was attacked by wild geese. Showing us wildly with his hands how he had to fight them off with his fishing pole. That put the do on his fishing trip, and getting on his bike, he scooted on home.

The warm fifty degree temperature of yesterday was decidedly not to last, as it has plummeted to the thirties once again. Monday, forecasters are anticipating another snow storm which may produce ample snow. Enough! It's time for a "spring fling," baseball, and an Easter Parade, with cute little bunnies, and eggs rolling in the grass.

We can't wait to see the display of flowers at the Church that we planted in the fall, for our spring spectacular. One, we can hoot about.

No comments: