See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, October 27, 2008

Chicken Again

When I was young we used to play chicken. No one wanted to be called chicken. So, we would dare you to do something probably, stupid, and, because you didn't want to be called chicken, you would do it. I recall my brothers saying they would go fishing, and would be dared to eat the bait they brought to place on the hook. They said they did! Ueeek. Sometimes, it was worms, or little tiny fish. They said they would feel them move in their stomach. How could they?

But that is not the chicken that I wanted to talk about today. It is more like eating chicken. It happens to be a staple in our diet. John cannot have any pork product, like ham, sausage, bacon or any derivative. So, shortly I'll be coming up with another chicken recipe. Then, it will be chicken soup. By now I'm an expert on the subject. They say chicken is good for you, but only if cooked in a way that takes out the saturated fat.

Yesterday, I saw a lady shopping for skinless chicken, while I was buying the whole bird. I know people will pay more money for the luxury of not having to pull off the skin, which is very fatty and not good for people concerned with cholesterol. My brother is one of those people. And, although he cannot afford to pay more money, he buys the skinless prepared parts.

I have learned how easy it is to pull off the skin. Simply, with the legs down and back up, insert a knife and cut across the back skin. Pull the skin off by pulling down toward the center. The hardest part is getting it off of the legs. So, if its legs, grab the skins with a paper towel. The skin sticks to the paper, and having the skin in the paper, will allow you to pull it off easily, as it is not slippery. Try it. It will save you the excess cholesterol, and money.

If you choose to cook the bird with the fat on it, the drippings once refrigerated and chilled, will separate the fat, (which will rise to the top), and can be easily removed with a stainless spoon onto a paper towel. It is advised to not put fat into a sink, which will cause drainage problems. Throw it in the garbage.

Sometimes I need to add chicken broth from a can, if I'm making a large batch of soup. I always buy the "low sodium," and "fat free." If you don't have fat free, place the can in the refrigerator to chill, and once you remove the cover, the fat which has now risen to the top, can be scooped out easily.

I avoid doing any harm to my family by giving them foods that will ultimately cause pain and suffering. Especially to the hearts that I love and that love me. Diet is a big part of the way I make it all better. And I work hard at it.

Years ago, people would cook dumplings utilizing the chicken fat instead of using a good fat product, (non-hydrogenated), in with the flour to form the dough. That type of saturated fat from the chicken may taste great, but they all died young from heart attacks and strokes. (My favorite spread to cook with is "Smart Balance.") We avoid butter, although it is a natural product, it is a saturated fat.

This boo-boo kisser prefers not to play chicken.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.