See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Could I have this dance

There was a song a liked by Anne Murry. It went something like this: Could I have this dance for the rest of my life, we could be partners every night, when we're together it feels so right, could I have this dance for the rest of my life? It was a song that we'd waltz to many years ago.

The blog on waltzing I read recently, caused me to become contemplative and the result, this post. I admit that it is somewhat analytical and having said that, I wonder how many women and men out there feel the same way about waltzing. Your writing expressed a loneliness and a desire, which I share.

I recall, like you, taking ballroom dancing. It was popular then and lets face it, a must if you were going to develop socially. Most high school dances would play "slow dances" so the guys and gals would have a chance to move around the floor, clinging together. Some of the guys were too shy to ask a partner for "this dance." Maybe they would have if they knew how. The kids in our neighborhood all knew how to dance, they learned it from their cousins or sisters.

I recall, that the doctor I once worked for, told us that before he got married, he had to take dancing lessons. Something he really did not enjoy. (Things have changed since he remarried). If he doesn't like to dance, he could have fooled me.

What I'm getting at is that most men do not understand the importance of waltzing as compared to women. There is an element of intimacy, a desire to be pulled close. The being swept off your feet, for some. It is a notion of grandeur that is almost as old as the beginning of time. It truly makes a statement that is long-lived in the hearts of lovers.

Some of the most beautiful moments of my life are recalled dancing. My father taught me to waltz when I was a little girl. Then, the first wedding dance as a couple, and dancing with my son, Bill, on his wedding night.

The waltz means different things to different people on different occasions. The elderly, and retired enjoy dancing especially to the waltz. A dance for any age, just about everywhere. Except here!

There is a great sense of loss when all you can do is remember when. The last time I recall waltzing was years ago. We simply don't dance anymore. I started thinking about how to waltz, hopefully you always remember. Maybe someday, I'll get to dance with my grandson at his wedding.

So, for the moment, dancing has become insignificant, and like other romantic realities, dancing is one that is, reminiscent, and irrelevant.

Oh but, can you hear the music? "When we're together it feels so right, Can I have this dance, for the rest of my life?" I recall these songs while gliding around the floor, "I love you truly, truly dear. Life with its sorrows, life with its fears." Or, "Be my Love for no one else can end this yearning. This love, this love that only you create." And, "I'll be loving you, always, with a love that's true always." The waltz will always be near and dear to the young at heart.


No comments: