See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lovely Surprise

My little grandson was waiting at the door this cold morning, around (40 degrees), with a huge smile and a pretty red leaf. It' like gold to me, pardon the pun. But no, that wasn't the surprise. It wasn't the snow promised either, thank God, I'm not quite ready as there remains chores left to do before the little heavenly wonders start there downward spiraling, covering the barren mess. Bill, my oldest son, said it snowed at his home around 10ish but didn't stick. He was the one who loved winter and when it would snow, he'd go from window to window. The wonder of it all! He didn't sound so enthusiastic now, maybe because he has a cold, or could it be, that it isn't so much fun when you have to work and still clean up after the accumulation?

After Nathan's second breakfast, orange juice and a blueberry toast-waffle with cream, and playing with airplanes and cars, it was time for an adventure. He wanted to go to the church.

I proceeded to dress him in his warmer coat and hat with ear coverings, then it came to the mittens. (It was much easier this year), and after he got them on he said "it's broken" that is his lingo for something is wrong. I looked at the small mittens with the dinosaurs on the front, they seemed okay, but upon further investigation, I noticed that the first finger was in the thumb area, and he knew the difference. Grampy says that's how he is like me, he'll let you know.

How he enjoys riding in the car, observing the front-loaders at work and the flags. Then, we proceeded up Morris St., he immediately tuned in, "not Me-Me's, the Church". It is amazing how he knows exactly where he is and how to get to where he is going. When we turned the corner left up the hill, he yelled "there it is," happy to see it, like a long, lost friend.

It was so cold, we didn't stay very long. He walked around observing the missing dirt, blown by the wind, probably in the last day or so. I cleaned up a bit by bringing in overturned pots and unfortunately a bird feeder. Next, to say good morning to Fr. Peter and Onchu the puppy, a tour of all the Halloween scarecrows, and a huge orange pumpkin tin pot which contained yellow mums. Funny how the mums are going to bloom for the 2nd time this season around the entrance of the rectory. All the while Nathan wanted his watering can. Of all the times I've complained about the care taking of plants this spring and summer, I'll be the first to admit that I miss them.

It is a huge endeavor, planting for the next season and cleaning up after the last each year. We will have to move quickly before the pots freeze if we are to decorate them for the winter.

It wasn't long before we had our little bundle back in his car seat, all snug with his do-do blanket, (blanket since infancy) covering him, and were on our way home.

Lunch was predetermined, because I know better. He had quite the appetite, consuming all while watching "Mighty Machines," his favorite DVD, on my computer. He had homemade chicken broth, cottage cheese, bread and butter, a banana, and chocolate milk.

I've never seen a child that age so neat. His hygiene is so important to him. On the bathroom stool, he washed his hands, face, and with a hand-held bunny mirror brushed his teeth. Around two he was ready for a nice nap. Me too! That is, after kissing all the stuffed animals, Pepper, and Snoopy White goodnight.

Actually, I'm off to the kitchen to make a nice apple pie to go with dinner tonight. We will give him chicken, because it is one of his favorites, while I'll have tuna casserole.

Now I realize that I forgot to tell you what the surprise was. There is a little birdhouse, ornamental, which I placed next to my lavender in my garden, and next to that I placed a huge ceramic, Royal bright blue, half pot sideways on the ground, where spring flowers are planted. The expensive pot broke last year, equally on both sides, and this was the resolution to disposing of it altogether. If you can envision the way some people lay there wooden whisky barrels, you'll get the picture. The flowers are gone, and surprisingly enough contained a house-guest. All rolled-up and looking quite comfortable, was a huge grey-colored-cat, having himself or herself a nap. Of course, Nathan was happy to see the "fur ball", asking if he could climb the bank to "see it." I'm sure the cat knew he was advancing, and wanted no part of the intrusion, and having a different plan, ran off. Being a strange cat, I wouldn't let him get too close, anyway. It amazed me how strong Nate is now, a short time ago, he would not have been able to climb up there. The cat? He'll be back I'm sure, now that he's found a new home, which is no surprise to me.

No comments: