See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, October 3, 2008

French Bread

Its about 7PM here on the east coast, yet there is much to do in this kitchen tonight. Namely, chopping onions and cabbage. (I'm starting the dishes that are going to be prepared in the crock-pot and slowly cooked). Anyone familiar with processing (onions), knows that it makes you cry, so, I save it for last.

It is starting to get chilly now, but it was a nice day, with dark clouds and I believe a quick shower. As I type my rings are loose and jingling because my hands have become cold. It will be advantageous to be near the stove this evening. Besides what else is there to do on a Friday night?

I had lunch with Linda today, this time it was at a local coffee shoppe. The place was crowded, especially surprising, being so late in the afternoon. Got a late start, in fact, I was able to sleep in, not a bad idea once and a while. Must have let all my frustrations out, because I slept like a baby last night. Perhaps, it was all the exercise I got yesterday climbing up and down stairs. It's a good thing, I probably won't get much rest tonight.

This place smells like a bake-shop with freshly baked breads cooling on the counters. Although I make a variety of breads, today's were French breads, which will be enjoyed tomorrow at the Yard/Bake Sale-lunch.

Linda and I peeled vegetables, a huge bag of potatoes, carrots, and 2 huge butternut squash. It is always easier to buy vegetables in cans, but I'm making these dishes also for my friends, who will be working until three o'clock tomorrow. I want only the best for the best.

Pressure cookers are a great way to cook large amounts of food at a time, and I've used them for years without a problem. This time though, my cover would not come off. I started to get mad but getting mad gets nothing accomplished. It occurred to me that I might have to use the hammer. Then, I thought if I do that, I might destroy my pan, and contents at the same time. Thinking the better of it, I used a knife under the handle the same way you would unlock a door without a key. Having successfully and skillfully removed the cover, I was glad that I still, after these many years of cooking, have the patience to do the job.

They say that the good you do for others, comes back to you. Tomorrow, there will even be pre-Halloween candy and Halloween coffee cups. Someone has a sense of humor, or is it that we (French), as serious as we can be, just like to have fun?

No comments: