See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, October 24, 2008

Getting Connected

Its Friday night, and he was thinking about me. I was having a few beers and a wonderful spaghetti and meatball dinner with my friend, Linda. The room was crowded and I was sitting toward the back of the hall, at a long table. The noise in the room was such that I hardly heard my cell phone ring. Everyone that knows me is aware that by the time I find the phone in my purse, I almost miss the call. This time, though, I was lucky. I opened the case and said "Hello." The voice on the other end was a young man, and you know how it is with connections sometimes they are hard to pull out especially when the background noise level is loud. He said "Hello, whats happening?"

I was happy that, Steve, was calling, as I had left him a message earlier that week, hoping he could make it to the spaghetti dinner and turkey party. I was hoping to see him even if it was late. I knew he had been busy, and that's probably why I had not received a call from him in some time. So, I said "it's good to hear from you." He said, "I've been busy." I said, I've missed seeing you." He replied, something similiar.

He said I sounded happy, and where was I with all the noise in the background. So, I replied "I'm at the turkey party." He said "where?" I said, "the turkey party," thinking he had difficulty hearing me because of the noise. Then, I continued, "are you coming down?" He said "I'm a little tired, but where are you?" So, I replied that tonight was the turkey party at the church. He said, "Oh," and "how are Sarah and Alan doing?" I said, "who?" He said, "Sarah and Alan." I said I don't know a Sarah and Alan," beginning to understand now that I didn't know him either. Then I said, "I think you have the wrong number." He said he was sorry, but it was nice talking to me, and have fun at my turkey party." I said, "thanks I will, goodbye" and he said "goodbye."

As I hung up the receiver, I wondered to myself, what just happened here? I wondered who he was, where he was, he sounded so nice. And, I wondered if he wondered the same thing?

Strange things happen in this world.

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.