See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Esteem

Now here is an interesting title. A sum total isn't it? How you esteem yourself will reflect the worldview of YOU. How do I know that? My fortune cookie today said so. I can just see Fr. Peter laughing at this one. But, it has something there. I am a ponderer, and I think it makes a great deal of sense. This is what it said. "Think Highly of Yourself, for the World will take you at your own esteem."

Why do you think, clothes sell, or make-up or the so-called silly things women buy, like perfume? It esteems them. (Makes them feel better about themselves). I know that when I feel "down" like so many women do at times, all it takes is, (a little dab will do you) of some sweet smelling scent under your nose, or sprayed on your clothing. It cheers you up. A new hairdo, or lipstick, shoes, flowers, chocolate. Even making cookies, or reading a book that you enjoy. Or making something special for someone else. Like last night's celebration. What makes you feel special or cared about, I enjoy doing.

Some women are made to feel "of no value," so here we go with the word esteem yourself. (Everyone desires to be loved). I'm lucky, because those around me "esteem me" by their love for me, just a little homemaker. But I know who I am. I'm responsible for picking-up up everything, sometimes, including the pieces of the broken-hearted, lonely, and overburdened, hungry people I encounter. And much more.


Last night, a stranger sat at a table that I shared with my friend Linda. We were exchanging questions about our faith, following what was a wonderful Liturgy of St. James, the Just. John, from Worcester, asked what we did for a living. Linda, told him that she was a nurse. He thought he should have guessed that, saying at one point, there are a lot of nurses in his family, and they joked about the "cap". Then he asked me what I did. I said I was just a homemaker. Linda quickly added that I do a lot more than that. I think she was trying to cover for me, as she probably felt that the question was a put-down. (One of the Boo-boos talents is perception).


They say the older you get the wiser. I think that is true, because, while I am just a homemaker, I do not think less of myself. People who know me, know I have many talents and accomplishments. But, I know that is how people think because my mother-in-law, although she does not realize what she is saying, (or maybe she does), always says "she made something of herself." She came from a time when it was okay to be a homemaker. But, is it since the women's lib movement?

Society labels nonworking people as "junk". Think of how poor John was, all over himself, embarrassed to have asked the question in the first place. He said, that's okay, or something funny like that. Maybe I should have said, "I'm the Kiss the boo-boo blogger and I've been kissing boo-boos all my life. I can be funny at times, it comes natural.


Who cares what you are? You are called to be "Lovers of Mankind." You will not be judged on your title, and not on how much you have, what your father did, or if you owned your own home, or what degree you have, having learned from others, but, on how much you have LOVED others.

Here's where the esteem part comes in. If you have love for yourself as you should, you will be esteemed. You will not have to waste time worrying about who loves you, and spend more time, "loving and thinking about others."

What is the level of your esteem? Do you believe what people say about you. (Even unkind things?) Then, I hope your success is not dependent on them. In other words, as the good father said recently about himself, "people will not toot your horn, so you must toot your own."

What matters is that you know who you really are and are striving to reach the potential that you can be? Does that mean that you will need to be a rocket scientist? No! Your success is how you envision it, and what is in your heart to be. That is, if your going to be happy, and, that is up to you, too!

You can chose to be happy digging a ditch, or scrubbing a floor. You can be the best little floor scrubber that there is, and be happy and, you will be esteemed by the world. Why, because you think highly of yourself. And the world will take you at your esteem Why? Because my fortune cookie said so. You do want to be esteemed, don't you? I think you do...

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.