See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The season of October

When I remember October, I do so with less anticipation than some of the other New England seasons. Oh, you have colorful pumpkins, beautiful foliage, wonderful festivals, cooler and more enjoyable outdoor weather with its wonderful harvest. There are brew fests and football games. Geese flying south for the winter, and squirrels gathering up for their long retreat.

Is Impending gloom all that there is, intermingled, of course with a few holidays? A time to get ready for sickness, seclusion, darkness and coldness. It would not be true for me to say that I relish the additional clothing, heavy coats, boots and solitude. The bears have it right, hibernation. They do not succumb to a plant less, colorless, and deathlike state during their long winter's nap.

It was just on a day like today, with its colorful hue, and sunlit sky, draped with huge grey heavy clouds, that my dad passed away.

We make the best of it, painting the season with activities. Today, my friend Linda and I picked up the pies that will be sold at the annual church event. Much preparedness goes into each and every one of our fundraisers. I'm sure it will go well, and be remembered as, "a good time was had by all".

Do we ever get prepared for the onslaught of winter? The excessive fuel bills, (no matter how conservative we try to be)?
In this area, we do not rely on anything but our own transportation. I despise driving on slippery roads and shoveling show.

Yet, there is something that is desirable about looking at the small twinkling lights decorated on trees, the smell that emanates from wood burning stoves, softly falling snow from the evening sky. The sound of crunching as you step, leaving your footprint, which will be covered in the morning.

Homemade breads, soups and rich stews. Holiday cookies, pies and "snuggling". Those you love gathered around you.
Romantic tear jerking movies and candlelit dinners. Shopping for loved ones, and Christmas Liturgy. Books, puzzles and music.

Did I ever tell you that one of my favorite television movies in the winter is "A Christmas Carol, " with the character Scrooge and Jacob Marley?" I used to watch that since I was a tot with my daddy. The grim reaper is a reality that leads to the tombstone and death. Death is the one fear of all men, who understand that it means separation from life. (Nothingness). It's what changed Scrooge around. What a lesson.

But I'm here to tell you that spring is right around the corner. That through death, newness of life is regenerated. That you do not believe, I hope, that it is the end, but rather, the beginning. If you do believe that, then it is time to take a closer look. Look for Him, the One who rejuvenates all life, a new dawning, a well-spring of Hope. Because, by His death, he has cast down death. This "author of life," has left his footprints everywhere for you to follow. Putting it simply, you never give up on the one you love. And, who does He love? You.

I believe that the signs in nature, visibly point the way. Like, the star of Bethlehem in the apple, or the black clouds vanquished by the light, or the Christmas Cactus that blooms every Christmas and Pascha. The cross that was forged on 9/11, the Caterpillar changing to a butterfly, the germination process.

What? You don't know that there is a reason beyond and for all this, and that you are destined to be part of this great picture called "everlasting life." Then, you don't know Jesus, who is the only reason for every season. Life is worth living because of Him. Because, there is no life without Him.

No comments: