See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, March 9, 2009

100 Years Young

I can't even imagine what 100 years old feels like. Talking with Alexandra yesterday, who didn't look at all like 100, didn't act like it either.

It was her birthday party at St. Michael's Church, Southbridge. I have often heard of people turning 100, well often is incorrect, I have not heard of many turning 100. Yet when I did and saw their pictures, most were of suffering people. Alexandra may be in better health than most of us. No one at my table could believe that she was 100. She came from a stock of healthy people with healthy genes. Now that can only be credited to the Good Lord.

This is how the day went down. The room was at full capacity. Of course she had many family relatives, whom she shared a home-made simple cake with. Most all of the food was made by her daughter Loretta, and their family. You would think that a person that age would need to be wheeled around, or that people would go to her table to wish her a very happy birthday. No that wasn't the case, she went to every one's table to kiss them and say hello. Don't kid yourself, she knew every one's name. People that know her call her feisty, she knows what she wants, but I think she is a sweetheart. This little lady came to our table to ask if we had enough to eat, and if we had the pita she made. The first time I made one of those pita's I had the worse backache and I was exhausted from it's long process. She still is one of the best cooks at the church.

If that wasn't enough the cute petite, dolled up in her heels mind you, wanted to show us her picture on the wall in the hall. We commented that she was bigger there. Sharing her story, she told us that she had gallbladder problems then, and her doctor learning that she ate five pieces of bread in the morning, advised her to cut back, saying he ate that much all day. Keeping the advise of her doctor, she cut down to two slices of bread per day. The next time she weighed in, she was two pounds heavier. She laughed at this, we did too.

She came to this country not knowing English, yet worked after her husband died for 26 years. For all of you who brag about your education, this woman is self taught. She claims to have never gone to school. When we inquired as to how she became so smart, she said she would go downtown and ask the sales clerk. The clerk would say it is a spoon, then she'd go home and tell her husband, holding it in her hand. "This is a spoon." Determination taught this baseball lover. It was also said that she never missed an election, taking an interest in life's issues, religion, family and politics.

Her secret ingredient for good health is feta cheese and goat milk, she said, having it daily. The doctor was concerned about the amount of salt in the cheese, but she was feisty and ate it anyway.

She has always had a great love for the church. I recall her saying last year that the view of the land made her happy when she came out from Liturgy. She sees beauty because she is beautiful.

Giving me a big hug and kiss, she tells me that she likes me and thinks highly of me, making me feel good, but, I'm sure she tells everyone that. She has a talent for making others feel good.

The most remarkable story she related yesterday, was when the emergency personal arrived on scene for her daughter who had just had a heart attack. They wanted to know who the little lady was who just saved her life by mouth-to-resuscitation. She laughed saying, when we asked her how she learned that? "I learned it watching TV."

I could listen to her telling stories all day, and I'm sure that she can recall alot from many years of life's experiences.

May God grant you many more years, Alexandra, we have a lot to learn from you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.