See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, March 23, 2009

Fortune Cookie Said

Everyday I like to look at the fortune cookie and the little guy above it as it gives me a chuckle. It said that I was known to be straight forward and honest. Having said that, I try to be.

Yesterday, I was commenting to a friend about our Church Liturgy. I told her that I was not going to let it bother me that more of the ethnic was presented during the service. It was a Holy day, and just not worth getting me upset. That was until coffee and one of the ladies who had brought up the subject about the aprons, having spoken with three other's before me, was just not satisfied until it was rehashed again. I told her, that we had sold some during the three yard sales, and as well, we contributed some unsold items to charities. It wasn't good enough, as they wanted to sell the goods at an up-coming mother's day sale. I asked if we could possibly make more? No, that is not the answer. Nothing will ever be the answer to the question, I'm afraid. Because the name of the game is bickering. And "no" I do not have any of them in my house.

I have grown tired of the battle, frankly. There is not a Sunday that goes by that I dread coffee hour, lately. Being straight-forward and honest, I am between a rock and a hard place.

That was yesterday, but today, I must at least ask the question, why? Two churches in our town recently had conversation about merging. They both have elderly parishioners who are not willing to change for the sake of keeping their "faith" alive. Even though it was pointed out that they should have no problem unifying because they are both of Balkan heritage, (by several of our council members), excluding the priests. Why should their language be spared for the sake of a few who speak English, even though they attend regularly? During the Liturgy the priest says "And grant with one voice and one heart" yet, we are not of one voice. I beg the question be answered, when will we be?

Yesterday, the church welcomed in a new Catechumen. A young lady who is engaged to be married, and will be Orthodox at Pascha, (Easter). We pray that she be united to the holy, catholic, and apostolic Church, numbered among the chosen flock. This service was done in English. That is the language she understands. I wondered how she feels when she is subjected to a foreign tongue that she doesn't understand. I'll tell you how I feel, excluded. People wrote letters, came to church to fill the seats. The anticipation of a Church closing brought action along with many questions. Clearly, while they welcome growth, it is on their terms and conditions, which have nothing to do with their faith. "I got the message, that there are other Churches in town," last year when I was contemplating a move. My mother and her friends spoke in French when they didn't want the children to hear. I was always taught when people who can speak English, use another language in front of you, they are being rude.

It was my choice to become Orthodox. I have been through this over and over, with no resolve. The Church next to us has had more converts because they are willing to keep the language in English, except for the one song and the respect for the forebearers, saying the Our Father also in Albanian. Someone in that Church made an interesting comment that I read. Other Churches are growing, "what's wrong with us?"

Funny thing about the truth, it falls on deaf ears. And, I am certain that not combining the Churches at this time was the right decision. We don't need more fighting, and as we learned, this endeavor brought the expected forward and forefront. Now that the truth has come out, we are thankfully better informed. You have to take care of getting your own house in order first.

No comments: