See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Famous Healing Water

Now she's got me curious. Alexandra, of course. I first started to go to St. Michael's Orthodox Church around five years ago, when I first met Alexandra. It was at coffee when I started to ask her about eating habits, seeing how youthful she was in appearance and state of mind. I had been researching about foods and especially cultured products.

Sunday, with my family present, she mentioned that while in the old country, she had consumed water from a spring which was known for its healing properties. I immediately remembered her saying that when we first talked five years back.
She said they eventually placed a faucet at the cite.

I have recently done some work on trying to find where this spring is. I found possibly a relative of hers in the late 1800's had come from Avlona. Apparently there are two Avlona's. One in Albania and another Avlona, Macedonia. I don't know if she is from Albania, Romania, or Macedonia. I understand that many of the people originated from those areas. She did say there were many wars and she moved. (As a result of the war, territories were changed). People from the other church, St. Nicholas, just down the street, also used to talk about healing water.

The information I was able to obtain was interesting in that this famous healing water was found to extend throughout the area as it cascaded down Glina, Mountain, (Avlona, Macedonia), and Debar Lake. Known there for water resorts with healing water.

What has been found on the coast of Avlona and is extensive, is deposits of mineral pitch, salines, salt mines, and salt springs.

Sheep and goats form almost the only wealth of the mountains of Northern Albania, salines and other places at Avlona on the coast. (The people in our church were known to have come from a place of sheep-herders.)

It didn't bother Alexandra if her feta cheese was salty, she ate it daily. We know that saline is used in the medical practice as a cleansing agent. We gargle salt to rid of infection, and clean our wounds with it. Alexandra's doctor was concerned about the amount of salt in her feta cheese, why?

Recently, I learned that it is not salt that is the problem, but the by-product. That is what has been done to it commercially. That is the product we should avoid at all cost. I now use sea-salt. Other's Kosher only. Salt helps in digestion, and that is just the beginning of it. People have been going to spa's for centuries to be healed. Some of the best are in caves, where minerals containing, calcium, magnesium, and other known healing minerals have brought about positive result for the ill.

One of the older ladies in the church recently confided to me that when she is feeling ill, she soaks her feet in salt water. It has been a tradition from generation to generation.

We would just go to the beach. It was our cure-all.

2 comments:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.