See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Breastfeeding

I can't believe that I am going to give my opinion on a subject that has been taboo for many years. What prompted me to discuss breastfeeding in public was the chatter that I heard on a news station today. A young mother, apparently thought nothing of having her child nursing from her breast publicly, on TV. She mentioned that pictures were not welcome on face book. They had been previously removed and I think, reinstated. Women are being recruited in support of their cause, exposing themselves publicly nursing.
I do not consider myself prudish but modest. When my first child was born, women at that time in this area did not breast feed their babies. It was not a subject talked about, only when you entered the hospital, you were asked if you were going to breastfeed or not, in order that they give you a shot to dry up the milk.
End of subject. My poor baby did not do well on bottled milk, and suffered greatly. It could have been avoided if I had nursed him. Both my mother-in-law and mother were opposed to it initially, saying that they either didn't have any milk or what if I caught a cold, wouldn't I transmit it to my baby. I should have not listened to them, but when you are a young girl you depend on the advice of your mother.
I later learned that breastfeeding is such a positive, necessary and natural approach to what should be the best possible choice in sustaining your infant. Everything is right about it, the temperature, antibodies, nurturing and it is chemically correct for your baby. There is no running for and preparing a bottle, overheating or waiting for the right temperature. It is always ready and right. Aren't you tired enough, I believe that God's way is perfect, why look for alternatives.
The problem was communication, a shyness about the discussion of sexual matters. It was a taboo subject. Mother's and daughters did not get into that type of discussion. They wouldn't even tell me anything about the delivery. I learned all I thought was to happen to me, as I did everything else, from a brochure. This generation is more open and educated about life. They now have many programs for the mother and father to be. We learned everything the hard way.
We were not subjected to under garments on television, or personal women's products. I still cringe when I see some of the items displayed in front of children, during daytime hours. I still feel a need for privacy, and modesty. I would be totally embarrassed to have people viewing my breasts exposed publicly, including my family. I don't care to witness it either.
I believe that nursing your child should be done discreetly, and in private. If you can't find a suitable place, a cloth or blanket can be placed over your shoulder. Yes, it is beautiful. But, personal. I didn't make the mistake twice, so I recommend it as the better of the two methods. Especially with the concern of chemicals in some formula's.
Are things getting out of hand in this country? Just what are you trying to prove exhibiting yourself in this manner? A little courtesy and respect please, is all some of us are asking. We have rights too!

3 comments:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.