See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Read the Bible in One Year

(Jan. 11 Chapter 32-34).
Taken from the Orthodox Study Bible
(Chapter 32) Laban arose, kissed his sons and daughters, blessed them, departed and returned to his place. Jacob went on his way, sending messengers before him to Esau his brother, telling him he sojourned with Laban; "and I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find grace in your sight." The messengers returned to tell Jacob that Esau is coming to greet him with four hundred men. Jacob was afraid and divided his goods and people into two companies. If one were destroyed, the other could flee. Then Jacob prayed to be delivered from the hand of his brother, Esau. Jacob sent prepared gifts for Esau ahead. For he said to himself, "I will appease him with the present that goes before me, and afterwood I will see his face; perhaps he will accept me." While the present went forward Jacob lodged himself. He arose that night and took his two wives, his two maidservants and eleven dons. "Then Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until the breaking of day," dislocating the socket of Jacob's hip. Jacob demanded a blessing and He said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have prevailed with God and with men."
(Chapter 33) Jacob lifted his eyes to behold, Esau his brother, and four hundred men. Jacob bowed to the ground seven times Esau ran to meet him. they embraced and kissed his neck and they wept. Esau received Jacobs gifts. Esau journeyed ahead of Jacob until they would meet in "Seir."
(Chapter 34) Dinah daughter of Leah and Jacob was violated by Shechem, the son of Hamor the Hivite. He loved her and sought to win her heart, saying to his father, "Get this young woman as a wife for me." "Then Hamor the father of Shechem went out to Jacob to Speak with him." "But Jacob had heard Hamor's son had defiled Dinah his daughter." "Now the sons of Jacob came in from the field when they heard it; and the men were stunned and extremely grieved, because he had done this disgraceful thing in Israel by lying with Jacobs daughter, something that should have never happened." "Then Shechem said to her father and her brothers, "Let me find grace in your eyes, and we will give whatever you ask. Make the dowry as great as you wish, and I will give it; only give me this young woman as a wife." The agreement deceitfully was that they would all need to be circumcised. "Now it came to pass on the third day, when they were in pain, two sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, each took his sword and came boldly upon the city and killed all the males. They also killed Hamor and Shechem his son with the edge of the sword and took Dinah from Shechem's house, and went out. They plundered the city and took possession.
"Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, "You made me an object of hatred, so as to be evil to all the inhabitants of the land, both among the Canaanites and the Perizzites; and since I am few in number, they will gather themselves together against me and kill me. I shall be destroyed, my houshold and I." But they said, "Should he treat our sister like a prostitute?"

No comments: