See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Child's Play

Nathan came over at his regular time today, but it wasn't just any ordinary day, it was a day of play. We scheduled many winter activities and an out-of-town trip, because it was Saturday and grampy was with us.

It began with his favorite DVD Cars, followed by a second breakfast, or snack, (his favorite, waffle toast, syrup and cream, and apple cider). After bundling him up real good, snowsuit and boots, we were out with the sled, grampy pulling. His boot fell off, and it was quick to the recovery as it was definitely freezing outside, with the temperature dropping and the wind at your neck. While he likes to be pulled by the sled, he's not crazy about being in it for any length of time. What he does love, like Grammy is the swing. I covered him with a sports-like fleece lap blanket, and with the canopy above us, the wind could not be felt. He could have snuggled with me all day, with the sun beating down on us, it was absolutely divine. You could hear the trees crackling in the woods. He said the trees had holes in them. Don't quite know what he meant. It could be the moss on the bark of the trees, which looked circular. We played in the snow with the little shovel, getting it back on the clean driveway, and made happy faces with our hands in the snow. Next, upstairs to change boots and then off to take a ride to look for a train.

We ended up seeing the cows, and apple orchards without leaves and apples, but unfortunately, no trains were running today that we saw. Grampy decided to take him to see some tractors. But it was too cold to stay outside for any length of time. They say it is going to drop like a lead balloon and will continue to be frigid. It satisfied him and then off to get a burger, fries and chocolate milk.

We thought that he would appreciate a nap, but lying down with his favorite blanket and a pillow, while watching Cars for the second time, was all the rest he was to require today.

This morning he came in through the downstairs entrance, and when he saw me, he yelled "it's grandma" and started to do a little dance because he was so excited. I could tell he missed me. Later in the day, he caught me off guard when he said that I was pretty. He is really talking more and more and his vocabulary is good. I heard him say, Grampy, "Please join us!"

Grampy bought a new toilet paper stand for the bathroom, it is not too high for him to reach, and it is right along side the floor potty. Nathan thought he bought it for him. It was the first time I saw Nate attempt to wipe. Imagine, that's all it takes.

He still loves his cars, and you have to check each chair before you sit town, because he has a habit of leaving them right smack dab in the center. He loves to sing. When we were on the swing I was singing to him, as I always have and he says when I'm done, as he always has, "again."

This afternoon I could hear him singing in his room while playing. He is such a happy child. I enjoy hearing a man sing next to me, who has a good voice, such as I heard recently on my Washington DC trip. But there is something special about hearing the voice of a child. It is like receiving a present.

Later tonight, we played puzzles. He makes the mess and grandma puts it together. Over and Over. We watched YouTube, Disney songs and pictures. Finally, grampy came home to pass the ball in the hall, just after he had finished his ice-cream with chocolate syrup and it was time for washing up and PJ's.

He noticed the Icon I had in the room that John carried during the march for life. He doesn't miss a thing. It was the Mother of tenderness I believe, cheek to cheek one hand pointing toward her and one around her neck. Nathan said to me, it's mommy and me. I understood he was explaining the intimacy between himself and his mom. He likes to put his cheek next to someone he loves. I usually see how he reacts when he has to leave mom after she has had an extended vacation with him. Usually he acts up. So I said to him lets talk. And he said "mommy's working." I understood that he misses her so much. Early this evening, when his mom wanted to talk over the phone, it was the usual don't bother me routine. Toys taking precedence. Now that he can hold the phone, he heard her say, I miss you. I couldn't help but notice how happy he was to hear her voice. He was beaming when they exchanged the I love Yous. She is his world, and daddy too.

Then it was time for bed, and I rocked him with his blanket as I have always done, remembering the nice gift he gave me this morning. It was a bag of groceries, made from a sandwich paper bag and filled with book marker sized pictures of foods that one would buy at the grocery store, held by tissue paper. It seems that he brought that home yesterday, from day care. The first recipient was mom, and because he wanted to give it to grandma, permission was granted.

There are many special children in this world, but my grandchild means the world to us. He loves to laugh, and when I was on the swing he asked to me laugh again. (He loves to hear others laugh). I'm starting to see that he wants to do things for me. He said, "I'm going to do something special for you grandma," and proceeded to tell me how he was going to fix my fans and air conditioner, when he finds the screwdriver. He is a caring person. All children should be happy. And, that starts with mom, and I don't know of a better one.

Congratulations Angie on your new job and for being the wonderful gift you are to your family. We know that it can't be easy.

1 comment:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.